Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Best Way to Ask for a Raise


by Nancy Axelrad, ResumeEdge.com Editor

Need a Raise?

Do you deserve a pay raise but can't afford to wait until your next performance review in six months? Such requests are best put in writing. Choose your words carefully - the letter below is an example of what NOT to write to your boss.


Franny Franchise
Dollar Road
Out-of-Town, USA

Dear Sir or Madam:

I have worked my knuckles to the bone for you and what thanks do I get? Not even a pat on the back. I need to make more money. It's as simple as that. So, I want a raise. Let me know how much.

Workaholic Will

Diplomacy will promote Workaholic Will up the income ladder faster than a complaint. The following letter is a better approach because the writer is ready, "workaholic" willing, and able to take on more responsibility.

Hiring Manager
Big Deal Corporation
One Boulevard
Thousand Acres, USA

Dear Employer:

The past five years in your employ have proven to be a milestone in my career. As Senior Analyst, I have managed an increasingly complex business system. Recently I wrote and implemented a 500-page manual of standard operating procedures to ensure our leadership in global markets for the next five years. I worked many hours on this project, often on weekends, while handling my other duties. Since you expressed appreciation for my efforts, I hope you will agree that I deserve a merit-based increase retroactive to June 30.

If you are available this week to discuss my request, I can meet with you anytime at your convenience. Next week, I will be out of town Monday and Tuesday on the pending acquisition. As always, it’s a pleasure to accept this added responsibility.

I look forward to talking with you.

Respectfully,

Workaholic Will


Nancy Axelrad has created 2000+ letters and resumes, specializing in the healthcare industry, and has assisted students and professionals across the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Russia, Asia, and Australia. She has taught English Composition at the college level and conducted writing workshops at public and private schools. Nancy has a Master of Arts in Writing. Request Nancy for your resume or cover letter by keying in her last name only, no caps (axelrad) in the 'request your editor' field of the ResumeEdge.com online form.
http://www.resumeedge.com/services/index.php?nav=se.home



No comments: